hpr1756 :: Ranger File Manager
Introduction to the ranger command line file manager
Hosted by b-yeezi on 2015-04-27 is flagged as Clean and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (1).
From Man Page:
ranger is a console file manager with VI key bindings. It provides a minimalistic and nice curses interface with a view on the directory hierarchy. The secondary task of ranger is to figure out which program you want to use to open your files with.
This manual mainly contains information on the usage of ranger. Refer to the README for install instructions and to doc/HACKING for development specific information. For configuration, see the files in ranger/config. They are usually installed to /etc/ranger/config and can be obtained with ranger's --copy-config option.
Inside ranger, you can press 1? for a list of key bindings, 2? for a list of commands and 3? for a list of settings.
- Project page: https://ranger.nongnu.org/. Has pretty good documentation
- Available on Debian, Arch, Probably others, git and mailing list available as well.
- 3-pane view:
- Previous -> current -> next
- When current is a file, uses file magic and other programs to preview the file
- optional dependencies for previews:
- img2txt from caca-utils for ASCII-art
- highlight for syntax highlights
- atool for archives
- lynx/w3m/elinks for html
- pdftotext for pdfs
- transmission-show for bittorrent information
- mediainfo or exiftool for mediafile info
- Color coded, with three themes to choose from
- One more over to the right opens the file from other programs
- located in ~/.config/ranger directory
- rc.conf = keybindings and settings
- commands.py = command-mode items
- rifle.conf = file launcher options, which let you make custom file opener commands
- scope.sh = custom file preview scripts, like mdview
- up, down, left, right, or h,j,k,l
- gg top G Bottom
- E edit
- spacebar to mark or :mark for pattern
- dd, yy, pp
- :touch, :mkdir, :grep
- rename and bulkrename (change from ranger.container.file import File to .fsobject.)
- zh - toggle hidden
- gn - new tab, gt or gT to navigate tabs
- / search vile
- V visual mode
- 1? = list key bindings
- 2? list commands
- 3? list settings
- ? main help