hpr2211 :: My podcast workflow
How I download, manage, listen to and delete podcasts
Hosted by Dave Morriss on 2017-01-23 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (0).
My podcast workflow
I have been listening to podcasts for many years. I started in 2005, when I bought my first MP3 player.
Various podcast downloaders (or podcatchers) have existed over this time, some of which I have tried. Now I use a script based on Bashpodder, which I have built to meet my needs. I also use a database to hold details of the feeds I subscribe to, what episodes have been downloaded, what is on a player to be listened to and what can be deleted. I have written many scripts (in Bash, Perl and Python) to manage all of this, and I will be describing the overall workflow in this episode without going into too much detail.
I was prompted to put together this show by folkyâ€™s HPR episode 1992 â€œHow Iâ€™m handling my podcast-subscriptions and -listeningâ€. Thanks to him for a very interesting episode.
Refer to the full notes for the details: https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr2211/full_shownotes.html
- Wikipedia article entitled â€œList of podcatchersâ€
- HPR episode 1992 from folky entitled â€œHow Iâ€™m handling my podcast-subscriptions and -listeningâ€
- HPR episode 1935 from Charles in NJ entitled â€œQuick Bashpodder Fixâ€
- Wikipedia article on the Podcast
- Wikipedia article on RSS
- Wikipedia article on the Atom standard
- HPR episode 1656 entitled â€œMy audio player collectionâ€
- The fix_tags script on GitHub
- Information about xsltproc
- My version of parse_enclosure.xsl
- My ID parser parse_id.xsl
- List of all components of the system described in this episode