Since April last year the text-to-speech using eSpeak in the Raspberry Pi console has stuttered very badly and regularly crashes the kernel.
Here's how I fixed it.
Cloning my github repo:
cd ttsprojects/raspberry-pi/libilctts/build sudo ./build.sh cd ../../piespeakup sudo ./build.sh
Bingo! Speech should work.
This has only just been released and there is still work to do on the documentation.
Note: I am not connected to the Raspberry Pi Foundation in any way and anything I say or do is not endorsed by them.
My email address is connected with a Freelists email list I set up and an accompanying web site:
The 'VI' is for 'Visually Impaired' and I DID check with the Foundation about the similarity of the web address before I created it.
To join our email list send an email to:
With 'subscribe' in the subject.