This recipe has been heavily adapted from one I received from Hello Fresh - credit where credit's due!
- 1 lb (500g) Sausage (chicken or pork works)
- 1 Â½ cups (192g) Orzo
- 2 tbsp (40g) Butter
- Olive oil
- 1 - 2 tbsp (20-40g) Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups (475ml) water
- 1 tsp (4g) stock concentrate
- 16oz (450g?? One normal can, whatever that is) Crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (226g) Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt (Optional)
- Mince half the shallot (or all of it, I'm not the boss of you). Trim and shred the zucchini. Prepare a mixing bowl lined with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 500 F
- Drizzle some oil into a large oven-proof pan (if you've got one) and cook the sausage, with half the Italian seasoning, over medium heat, breaking it into bite-sized pieces as you cook it. Transfer to the mixing bowl for later.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil, and shred the zucchini into the pan. Add shallot, and cook until the zucchini shrinks to â…” of its size (about 5 minutes). Transfer to the mixing bowl with the sausage.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat, and add orzo, stirring pretty frequently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the Italian seasoning, along with the water, tomatoes, and stock concentrate. Bring to a boil and stir until orzo is done - around 12 - 14 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid from the zucchini and sausage.
- Mix sausage & zucchini into orzo mixture, with 1 tbsp of butter. Season with salt & pepper, if you want.
- If you don't have an oven-proof pan, you're going to want to transfer everything over to a large baking dish of some kind. 13x9" works for me.
- Cover the mixture in mozzarella cheese and panko breadcrumbs - in that order!
- Place dish in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the breadcrumbs are toasted.
Note: If these metric measurements seem crazy, they probably are.